Las Vegas Paternity Attorney
Of all the different family law issues, paternity is one of the most complicated and emotionally charged. Legally establishing paternity can be fairly straightforward but there are times when it can become very complex. If you have a dispute regarding paternity, whether you are a mother or father of a child, it is important that you obtain legal advice. Our Las Vegas paternity attorney can provide it and give you the best possible outcome in your case.
What is Paternity in Las Vegas?
Paternity refers to legally recognizing a man as the biological father of a child. Establishing paternity is critical for a number of reasons, including establishing the rights and responsibilities of a father, which may include child custody, visitation with a child, or child support. There are many issues involved in paternity cases and they are as follows:
- Determining physical and legal custody of the child,
- Creating child support orders, or modifying a current order,
- Protecting the visitation rights of a father,
- Ensuring a child’s right to certain benefits and an inheritance, and
- Establishing the legal parental rights of a father.
How to Establish Paternity in Las Vegas
In Las Vegas, there are three main ways to establish paternity. These include:
- Voluntary acknowledgement: Parents can acknowledge paternity voluntarily. This often happens at the hospital at the time the child is born. When both parents consent, voluntary acknowledgement is the most straightforward way to establish paternity.
- Court order: Obtaining a court order is usually necessary when two people disagree about who the biological father is. This method involves appearing in court and the alleged father submitting to a genetics test.
- Presumed paternity: When two people are married and have a child together, the man is presumed to be the biological father. Still, doubts can arise and in these cases it is critical to speak to an attorney who can help with these complex issues.
Benefits of Establishing Paternity
Once paternity has been established, it allows the father to move forward and exercise his child custody and visitation rights. Establishing paternity is also beneficial for mothers who wish to move forward with child support proceedings. However, there are more benefits than just these, as well.
Establishing paternity allows both the child and the father to develop a loving and supportive relationship. This is critical for children, as it is considered to be in the best interests of the child for them to develop a bond with both parents. After establishing paternity, it can also give children a right to Social Security benefits, as well as healthcare insurance benefits the father receives.
Lastly, establishing paternity gives children a sense of identity and connection. Children can learn more about their family history, and the medical history of relatives, which is good both physically and psychologically.
Our Paternity Lawyer in Las Vegas Can Help You Through the Process
Establishing paternity has many benefits, but the process is often complex. At Ghandi Deeter Blackham Law Offices, our Las Vegas paternity attorney can help you navigate the process so you obtain the best possible outcome. Call or text us now at 702-878-1115 or chat with us online to request a consultation and to learn more about your legal options.