Las Vegas Adoption Attorney
Adopting a child is a blessing for the entire family. In Las Vegas, there are many different types of adoption but regardless of the type you choose, the complex can be complex. Below, our Las Vegas adoption attorney outlines your options and the steps to take.
The Different Types of Adoption in Las Vegas
Prospective parents have many options when adopting a child. Knowing what these options are can help you determine what type of adoption is right for your family. The four types of adoption are as follows:
- Foster care adoption: Foster care adoptions are some of the most common ways parents adopt a child, and it is also the least expensive. An adoption agency licensed by the state of Nevada will work with prospective parents throughout the process. Foster care adoptions involve children of varying ages. The children have also sometimes experienced trauma and parents should prepare for this possibility.
- Private adoption: Prospective parents who choose private adoptions can work with an independent agency that will match them with a biological parent, or they can work directly with the adoptee’s parents. Private adoptions can provide prospective parents with more options, but they are more expensive. Private adoption also works very well for prospective parents who want to maintain a relationship with the biological parent.
- International adoption: International adoption is usually the most expensive type. Prospective parents should work with an agency and they will have to work with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
- Relative adoption: In these types of adoptions, a relative adopts a child from their biological parents. In these cases, it is often grandparents adopting. The parents rights must be terminated first, either voluntarily or involuntarily.
Requirements for Adoption
In order to qualify for adoption, you must meet certain requirements. These include:
- Be able to provide the child a loving and supportive home and care for them financially,
- Be at least 21 years of age and at least a decade older than the child you want to adopt, and
- Be of good moral character.
The Adoption Process in Las Vegas
Throughout the adoption process, you will work closely with the Nevada Division of Child and Family Services. They will run a background check on you and you will have to provide them with many documents to prove your eligibility. You will also have to attend a minimum of at least 30 hours of pre-adoption training, which help prospective parents understand the challenges faced by adoptive parents and to ensure their child thrives.
After completing the above requirements, a home study will be conducted. A professional will visit your home to make sure it can provide a safe, supportive, and loving environment for the adoptive child. Once the home study is complete, you will be matched with a child if you are not already and the adoption can move forward.
Our Adoption Attorney in Las Vegas Can Advise On Your Case
If you are thinking about expanding your family, the first thing you should do is contact our Las Vegas adoption attorney at Ghandi Deeter Blackham Law Offices. We can help determine which type of adoption is right for you and guide you through the process for the best chance of success. Call or text us now at 702-878-1115 or chat with us online to request a consultation.